Friday, 16 May 2008

(Ref. Springsteen, 1984)

My research is all about Things That Are Very Bad. So most days I listen to very cheerful music while reading and writing so I don't feel to overwhelmed by all the rape, pillage, poverty and war.

Mostly African songs about the revolutionary struggle. That always cheers me up. But I listen to a lot of Bruce Springsteen too (I may have mentioned that before).

Which has got me thinking that Bruce explains difficult ideas a lot better than most academics. For example, the song Murder Incorporated must be about slum loads and the arms industry and the meat industry. Right?
"So you keep a little secret down deep inside your dresser drawer
From dealing with the heat you're feelin' down on the killin' floor."
(Incidentaly this song helped me get thourgh a bad break up once. Just the beat, mind. The title didn't reflect any criminal intent on my part.)

And then My Oklahoma Home from the Seeger Sessions. That's got to be about the aforementioned housing crisis:

"It blowed away, it blowed away, My Oklahoma home, it blowed away.It looked so green and fair when I built my shanty there... All except the mortgage blowed away."


(This post is Maggie Special, of course)

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

OMG - quoting bruuuce lyrics.

okay. So, 'streets of fire'. I listened to it in the morning. No song is better in the morning. It's like I heard the song and bruce for the first time.

This is how I try not to feel but too often do...

I live now, only with strangers
I talk to only strangers
I walk with angels that have no place

don't look at my face...

scream it bRuce! No one wails like this man. OMG.