Tuesday, 24 February 2009

British Teeth

There aren't many days that I feel British. But today I went to the dentist. The dentist makes me feel very English.

He has all kinds of tools and techniques I've never seen before. Like suction tubes and buffering devises. And many scary drills. And cosmetic procedures you can't get back home on the NHS.

I feel so inexperienced. I've never, ever had any fillings before. I imagine I reinforce the dentist's British teeth stereotypes.

I came to get one cavity filled but the dentist also fixed several chips (chips I was previously unaware of). Apparently, I'm a big tooth chipper.

When the dentist was done, he announced he had straightened the bottom edge of my buck teeth. As a bonus. Which I suppose helped to explain why there had been little bits of tooth flying around the room.

I hear I am a big tooth grinder, too, so he fitted a mouth guard. It is supposed to help with my apparently very clicky jaw.

I left the dentist during rush hour. I was feeling very shiny, new, and American with my newly symmetrical teeth. (Not to mention my numb nose from the local anesthesia)

I went to catch my bus. It was busy and crowded but, irritatingly, no one queued. I worried my nose would never go back to normal.

I felt very British again.

No comments: