Thursday, 2 April 2009

My students are (mostly) very lovely

Today a young lad came to tell me he saw the film Lumumba

"OH MY GOD I JUST SAW A FILM ABOUT HOW THEY MURDERED THE DEMOCRATICALLY ELECTED LEADER OF CONGO AFTER INDEPENDENCE. HOW IS THAT POSSIBLE? WHY?! WHY?!"

3 comments:

esmyr said...

jon, and that is described too in the book i told you about 'blood river' by tim butcher (my book club reading, can you believe it?! not a jolly read).

ikke ikke said...

yes! i keep meaning to read it before bed... but then think: perhaps not suitable bedtime reading.

APRIL 22... I'll be done. I will be able to read it!

esmyr said...

def not bedtime reading for you although that is the only time i did read it. book clubs are strange things; i am now reading again a book I would probably not have picked off the shelf (in fact, never ever - an 'historical romance' (bah!)) but low and behold, I am actually reading it with much interest. It is a lesson for me in how prejudices are just that! I guess that is why most people join a book club to be challenged/encouraged into reading a wider variety. I just joined to be more sociable in my village but find it an added bonus to be reading all this stuff.