Thursday, 17 September 2009

Sadly, Minnesota is not the center of everyone's universe

Everyday, people ask me: Where are you from? Sometimes I say England, sometimes I say Minnesota. It depends if I want to field questions about the Queen or Jesse "The Body" Ventura. Princess Di or Garrison Keillor. Purple Rain or Abbey Road. I like to mix it up, you know?

I've been keeping a mental log of responses to the MN answer.

  • Random photographer bloke in Portland yesterday: "Why would you live in a Minnie-sota if you could live in a Maxi-sota?"
  • "You don't sound like those guys in Fargo. Well, maybe the lady cop."

  • "Did you ski to work?" (Why, of course. Everyday. Everyone does.)
  • A cop: "Don't they have turn lanes in Minnesota?"

  • "It must be snowing there now..."
  • "It must be great to be here. In civilization."
  • "I'm part native American." (Uuuuum, okay, thanks for sharing)

  • And finally, the most common response: "You must be so glad you left. You must be so happy to be here." (Shuddup. Shuddup.)

4 comments:

NGS said...

Oh, that would make me sad. People judge it without ever being here. Minnesota rocks!! That should be your standard reply.

adimica the beautiful said...

Awesome.

S- said...

It certainly doesn't reflect very well on their worldliness.

Nobodyatall said...

what dicks