We did Rwanda in class last week. Two things stood out:
(1) It's really hard to describe violence against women to students
(2) the students did a lot of reading and corrected me twice on details (Did the Mme Agathe's little sons die? No, they were saved! Did General Dallaire see the Belgian troops massacred? Yes! He drove right by them but he couldn't do anything.)
and I guess I need to add:
(3) I got pretty into it and forgot to give 'm a break.
Friday, 17 October 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
2 comments:
My daughter is going to Ethiopia with a girlfriend at the end of the month. They're travellimg as backpackers. I'm not too happy with all this. Is there enough respect for women in Africa? I know it's not Ruanda, but iI can't help worrying.
lieve tante,
please don't worry about cousin m. i think she will be safe. i think there is a lot of respect for women. random people might ask her to marry them, but in my experience nothing more.
plus, my cousin doesn't take any shit from any one.
Post a Comment