Saturday, 8 May 2010

Ma and Oma

In honour of Dutch and US mothers' day, I have been thinking of my favorite mama and oma sayings.
  • Most importantly and most frequently: Worst things happen at sea. (Literal. Refers to the time we were stuck in a storm on a ferry in the North Sea for hours throwing up and wanting to die)
  • J, Niet doen! (J, cut it out!)
  • Niet op de kouwe grond/muur zitten. (Literal. Don't sit on the cold floor/wall. Implication: you'll get a bladder infection.)
  • Och gut wat kan een mens toch moe zijn. (Rhetorical. Roughly: how is it possible to be so tired?)
  • Tja, ja. Hoop doet leven, kind. (Very roughly: Well, Keep hoping for the best, child.)
  • Nee heb je, ja kun je krijgen. (Very roughly: It can't hurt to ask.)
  • Stel je niet aan, je bent al gek genoeg. (Classic Dutch philosophy. Very roughly: Don't be a drama queen/don't make a scene, you're funny enough as it is!)
  • Eigen schuld, dikke bult. (Not translatable).
  • Ik kan niet wachten om je weer in mijn armen te sluiten. (Roughly: I cannot wait to give you a hug/embrace.)
I love these sayings of my ma and oma so much. They echo around my head even when I'm far away. They have got me through the worst times.

I'll be adding to this list over the next few days. Do you have any good mum and grandma sayings?






p.s. I wouldn't be surprised if my ma emails me to correct my spelling or translations! Ha!

4 comments:

Dorky Medievalist said...

Ooo, according to my grandmother, I wasn't supposed to sit on a cold floor (or damp ground) because I might get piles. Never venture forth without your mackintosh squares.

My grandmother, and now mother, always said "What's for you won't go by you." A kind of fatalist attitude to life but it sometimes is a balm for regret.

Rad said...

So cute, I love it. I love hearing your speak in Dutchy to your mum! You guys are beautiful! When are you leaving for Ukay?

Esmyr said...

yes, lovely j. inderdaad: Worst things happen at sea = worse things happen at sea -;)

adimica the beautiful said...

Loving these. Especially the non-translatable one.